Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Elodia


This is a drawing I made, of a character created by my friend Alexander. With this drawing I wanted to figure out how to 'paint' in Photoshop, and I think I learned a lot. I tried out a lot of the different ways to use a brush, such as lighten, screen, soft light, etc. using transparency as well. In the past I used to just paint opaquely, and when I tried to hack away with transparent brushstrokes it just looked messy. I was more thoughtful this time, rather than just putting colours on to see how they look.

I think next I want to try a hard, bright sunlight, rather than an overall soft, diffused light. I think this image looks good but I don't know if the light effects are actually realistic.

I probably should have added more pouches, weapons, shiny things and doodads on her outfit.

The other thing I'm happy about is the clothing folds - after some book-studying, I feel more confident inventing those than I used to!

No comments: